A mum-of-three says she hasn’t left the house for two years after a ‘botched’ nose operation left her confidence in tatters.
Helen Jones underwent a corrective procedure in October 2017 but was devastated with the results.
The 34-year-old claims she repeatedly asked the surgeon whether the appearance of her nose would change ahead of the surgery.
And after allegedly being reassured it would not, she agreed to have it carried out, reportsWales Online.
But Helen said the shape of her nose was significantly altered and, as a consequence, has had a disastrous impact on her mental health.
“I have three children but I can’t take them anywhere. I can’t even take my three-year-old son to play school,” said Helen, from Llanfairfechan in Conwy, Wales.
“I have missed two really important family funerals as I haven’t been able to face going out.
“I don’t feel like I have a life any more. I feel like a prisoner in my own home.”
Helen, who was having trouble breathing while exercising, was found to have a deviated nasal septum by ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialists.
She was referred for a septoplasty – a procedure to correct the deviated septum – at Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor which was set to be carried out on June 27, 2017.
However, the operation was cancelled at the last minute and rescheduled for October 5, 2017.
“When I went into the hospital in October I didn’t sign any consent forms,” she said
“I said I wouldn’t go through with the operation if there was a chance my nose would change, but the consultant reassured me it would be fine.
“I have now been left with a flat, bumpy and wide nose. It has really knocked my self-esteem and I now suffer with terribleheadaches.”
Following the procedure, Helen complained to the Public Ombudsman for Wales, Nick Bennett, who carried out an investigation
He found that the operation had been carried out to an appropriate standard and that an initial discussion about the potential risks, in March 2017, was also appropriate.
But he found there was no record of any discussion about possible complications on the day of the operation and her consent was not confirmed on any form.
A report into Helen’s case, which refers to Helen as Ms K, said: “Irrespective of whether there were any failings on the part of the health board, this has clearly been a deeply upsetting experience for Ms K which has significantly affected her daily life and her confidence in her appearance.
“The records suggest that the operation was carried out to an appropriate standard, and the complication Ms K suffered, while highly unfortunate, is a known risk of this procedure.
“[The fact] there was a change in the appearance of Ms K’s nose does not, of itself, indicate that there were failings in how the operation was carried out. I note, too, that Ms K’s breathing appears to have improved as a result of the operation.
But it said: “I have found that there was maladministration in relation to the lack of recording of any discussion about potential complications on the day of the operation and the fact Ms K’s consent was not confirmed on the form as it should have been.”Continue Reading